We are looking for a full-time Senior Software Engineer who will be responsible for handling our team's ongoing projects. We’re seeking an individual with an inquisitive and creative mindset, someone who is a quick and voracious learner, is open minded, and enjoys engineering creative solutions.
Responsibilities include investigating and prototyping early core technologies, defining and developing engaging new applications leveraging those core technologies, and preparing status reports and communicating among teams and project stakeholders. We take time to understand our customers through various intensive research methodologies, to discover their core issues, and to define products that solve those real-life problems. A quick loop of prototyping, user testing, and iterations forms the foundation of our culture.
Who we are:
R&D Center US Culver City Laboratory (CCL) is a newly established branch office within Sony Corporation's Research & Development Center (RDC). We focus on providing engaging and unique technology solutions for Sony Group's entertainment business segments (Sony Pictures Entertainment, Sony Music Entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment, and the group companies that support their businesses).
CCL's primary role is application R&D. We develop application technologies employing the Human Center Design philosophy. We take the time to understand our customers through various research methods, discover their core issues, and then define products to solve their problems. A quick loop of prototyping, user testing, and iterations is CCL’s key approach. To achieve CCL’s objectives, the Software Engineer plays a critical role.
Because our team is small, we sometimes operate like a start-up. We welcome an enthusiastic individual who is willing to wear multiple hats when necessary to get things done.
What you'll be doing:
- This role is a software development position. Your primary focus will be helping to define and develop frontend and backend web applications, and improve existing platforms that interact with multiple cloud-based tools
- The development stack will vary based upon customer needs and product goals; thus, the candidate should possess a breadth of knowledge and be comfortable quickly bringing ideas to solutions. Important ideas and discoveries may be patented.
- You may also conduct performance evaluations and implementations of software provided by Sony R&D and external companies.
- You will help to not only define the system architecture but to evaluate its pros/cons and welcome all input/changes.
- You will participate in scoping and developing new user experiences that delight the customer, create exciting new initiatives, solve interesting and unique problems, grow technical insight, and collaborate across functional boundaries in defining architecture, APIs, and overall design.
- You will research and evaluate available technologies in the market and report your findings to the team. You will synthesize our research outcomes to ideate, plan, and develop unique R&D solutions that solve our customer’s core challenges.
- S. Degree in Computer Science, or related field is required; MS is preferred
- 5-7+ years of full stack application development experience
- 7-9+ years of professional experience in engineering with a demonstrated track record of technical innovation
- Experience with or knowledge of a breadth of AWS services, infrastructure and deployment solutions using best practices (EC2, S3, Lambda, Cognito, SNS, SES, SQS, API Gateway, Docker, ElasticSearch, TerraForm, CloudFormation, Jenkins)
- Experience with Git/GitHub and managing code on multiple branches is expected
- Experience leading a team of strong technology developers that research and develop a diverse range of technologies
- Keep up to date with industry trends and developments
- Work on constantly increasing the productivity of the team and inspire others to be creative problem solvers
- Excellent technical, diagnostic, problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Ability to solve complex problems where precedent does not exist
- Require minimal level of guidance and direction
- Ability to analyze possible solutions using standard procedures and develop new procedures when solutions do not exist
- Excellent communication, motivational, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work outside of the regular business hours when necessary (we work with international teams and our meetings periodically last until 7 or 8 pm)
- AWS certifications appreciated
- User interface development experience (e.g. Vue, Angular, Ruby on Rails)
- Integration with machine learning projects or research teams
- Game engine knowledge and expertise is preferable, especially AR/VR area or Virtual Production
- Experience building reusable UX components or libraries
- Ability to rapidly prototype and adjust in response to customer feedback