We believe in the power and joy of learning
At Cengage Group, our employees have a direct impact in helping students around the world discover the power and joy of learning. We are bonded by our shared purpose – driving innovation that helps millions of learners improve their lives and achieve their dreams through education.
Our culture values diversity, engagement, and discovery
Our business is driven by our strong culture, and we know that creating an inclusive and diverse workplace is absolutely essential to the success of our company and our learners, as well as our individual well-being. We recognize the value of diverse perspectives in everything we do, and strive to ensure employees of all levels and backgrounds feel empowered to voice their ideas and bring their authentic selves to work. We achieve these priorities through inclusive programs, benefits, and initiatives that are integrated into the fabric of how we work every day. To learn more, please see https://www.cengagegroup.com/about/inclusion-and-diversity/.
What you'll do here:
The Software Engineer will be responsible for application development and support of Cengage Learning’s high-quality, electronic products. The Developer will work in a highly collaborative, cross functional and Agile team.
- Test-drives awesome code, working closely with other Agile team members.
- Gets things done. Takes ownership of tasks when others do not. Helps drive the completion of all kinds of work tasks.
- Helps break down, estimate, and provide just-in-time design for small increments of work.
- Builds a strong team using their teamwork skills.
- Promotes improvements in version control, continuous integration, project build, and project automation.
- Pair programs with different people in many situations.
- Performs root cause analysis, technology evaluation, and design spikes.
- Responsible for developing unit testing and overall integration tests for the project team.
- Provides direction and shares knowledge with team members in areas of expertise
- Continuously learns, and is unafraid to learn new practices, processes, technologies, and languages.
- Continuously acts to enhance knowledge of new technologies, business processes, and project management skills, staying abreast of trends, latest industry developments and knowledge sharing among colleagues
- Provides development and support for portions of one or more applications which may span multiple product or platform development teams
- Contributes to completing well-defined work, and delivers on those commitments
- Participates in weekly iteration demos for product managers
- Reports status of assigned software development and/or maintenance tasks
- Consistently follows software development methodology
Skills you will need here:
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent combination of education and recent, relevant work experience
- 3-5 years of hands-on web development (ASP.NET) experience using C# is required.
- Experience with TDD is required.
- Experience with RDBS (SQL Server) is required. Proven ability writing complex SQL and experience with Entity Framework 6.0 and EF Core.
- Experience with older versions of .NET Framework and the effort to upgrade to .NET Framework 4.8 or .NET 6 is a plus.
- 1 year of experience using a frontend framework like Angular, React, or JQuery is desired.
- Hand-on experience with TypeScript will be considered a plus.
- Cloud (AWS) Experience is desired.
- Familiarity with CI/CD concepts and tools. Experience with Jenkins and Octopus is desired but not required.
- Familiarity with XML
- Able to shift focus when priorities change.
- Capable of tracking the status of multiple in process tasks that have dependencies
- Clear communication in requests to other teams
- Must be critical to cultural differences in interactions and in the way work is done
Cengage Group is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, marital status, parental status, cultural background, organizational level, work styles, tenure and life experiences. Or for any other reason. You may view Cengage’s EEO/Affirmative Action Policy signed by CEO Michael Hansen and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notice by visiting their corresponding links.
Cengage Group is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or you may call us at +1 (617) 289-7917.