U.S. News & World Report is a multifaceted digital media company dedicated to helping citizens, consumers, business leaders and policy officials make important decisions in their lives. We publish independent reporting, rankings, data journalism and advice that has earned the trust of our readers and users for nearly 90 years. Our platforms on usnews.com include Education, Health, Money, Travel, Cars, News and 360 Reviews.
We reach more than 40 million people monthly during moments when they are most in need of expert advice and motivated to act on that advice directly on our platforms. Our signature franchises include our “Best” series of consumer guides on colleges, graduate schools, hospitals, diets, cars, financial services and more. These guides provide an easy-to-digest list for consumers to better understand and compare when making their decisions. We continue to publish annual guides of the authoritative Best Colleges and Best Hospitals rankings on our website and in print. And our U.S. News Live flagship conferences highlight important national conversations including Healthcare of Tomorrow and Healthiest Communities.
We believe in having a broad range of talent and backgrounds at U.S. News. We strive to maintain a welcoming workplace where everyone is given an opportunity to succeed and contribute to their fullest. Learn more about our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiative.
Your role in helping us shape the future:
We are looking for an enthusiastic Senior Software Developer with an interest in building dynamic, data-driven products.U.S. News empowers everyone to thrive. The developers at U.S. News have a great deal of independence and a minimum of overhead. By leveraging React.js, Python, AWS cloud, Google BigQuery, data science and other latest technologies, you’ll be driving a major transformation within U.S. News.
The successful candidate will become an influential member of a passionate, friendly, and growing team that creates web applications which reach millions of visitors monthly. Developers typically see applications through from beginning to end, working directly with project owners to create, implement, upgrade, optimize, and test features and projects.
We offer a casual work environment. Our offices are in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington, D.C. We are also open to having this person work remotely from anywhere in the U.S.
Are you up to the challenge?
This position requires comfort working with frontend technologies for web site development. Our developers thrive in a collaborative environment but also excel at solving challenges independently. We use many different technologies and operate in many different environments, and we work together with designers, analysts, stakeholders, and testers to build products as efficiently and effectively as possible. We do not like to pigeonhole our developers; every team member has their own areas of expertise and interest, but the most successful are unafraid to explore unfamiliar parts of the stack. We also believe in perpetual self-improvement, and expect our employees to continue to work towards developing their own skills and the skills of those around them.
In addition to normal development responsibilities, senior team members are expected to espouse a degree of technical leadership. Such activities can include reviewing code, mentoring junior developers, contributing to architecture discussions, and serving as a technical role model. Senior team members are responsible for promoting the overall quality of our team and technology, beyond just focusing on their own individual contributions.
You should definitely have experience with:
- Web styling with CSS preprocessors or CSS-in-JS
- Unix-based operating systems, such as Linux or Mac OS X, along with the shells and command-line tools available in those environments
- Version control, such as Git
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- At least three to five years of similar or related experience.
It would be nice if you had experience with:
- CI/CD pipelines such as Jenkins
- Cloud environments such as AWS
- Server-side technologies, such as Python, Java, or NodeJS
- Databases, such as PostgreSQL
- Data ingestion/transformation
What it’s like to work with us:
Talent is our best asset!
We invest in people with passion and potential who understand U.S. News’ dedication to our consumers.
- Entrepreneurial, mission-driven culture with core values of quality and integrity
- Focus on fostering personal and professional growth
- Competitive benefits including paid vacation time, medical, tuition reimbursement, and training
- Collaborative Work Environment ~ Fun, diverse, inclusive and ambitious co-workers
Other Job Info:
- These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees assigned to this job.
- U.S. News & World Report strongly encourages all employees to be fully vaccinated (including boosters).
- In New York City, the anticipated base salary for this position is $90,000 - $130,000. The actual base salary offered will depend on a variety of factors, including without limitation, the qualifications of the individual applicant for the position, years of relevant experience, level of education attained, certifications or other professional licenses held, interview performance, and if applicable, the location in which the applicant lives and/or from which they will be performing the job.